anatomy

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Prognosis

Hyperthyroidism is generally treatable with no long-term adverse effects and only rarely is life threatening. In most cases, the problem causing hyperthyroidism can be cured, or the symptoms can be eliminated or greatly reduced.

Side effects of medications used to treat hyperthyroidism may be more problematic in older people. Surgical removal of a portion of the thyroid (subtotal thyroidectomy) is generally effective but can result in inadequate production of thyroid hormone in the body. Older people are also at high risk for complications such as cardiac failure. If left untreated, however, hyperthyroidism places undue stress on the heart and many other organs.

 Hyperthyroidism caused by Graves disease (autoimmune disease where the thyroid is overactive, producing an excessive amount of thyroid hormones) usually gets worse over time. It has many complications, some of which are severe and affect quality of life. If they were treated with anti-thyroid drugs, prolonged remissions of the illness may occur. Radioactive iodine also is an effective treatment for Graves' disease. It is almost always used in patients with overproducing thyroid nodules. However, this treatment may come with hypothyroidism as its complication. Fortunately, this condition can be easily treated with daily thyroid replacement medication.

3 comments:

  1. I have tried a lot of fat burners and by far bovine thyroid supplements are the best over the counter fat burner I have ever used. Over all its an outstanding product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somebody please help me! I have nodules in my neck & a swollen lymph node under my collar bone, & various places, my quality of life has changed for the worse I'm on oxygen From PHT, I'm not getting any answers please help me! There's more goin on but I'm not sure how many characters are allowed in this comment!

    ReplyDelete

  3. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their email at ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete